Thursday, February 9, 2012

Partilho a tentação com quem mais gosto- Portugal!



Partilho a tentação com quem mais gosto- this is from a sugar packet...sometimes you find great tid-bits on sugar! This one says, "I'll share temptation with those I like the most."



Recently, four girl friends and I took a quick trip to Portugal! We didn't have much time, but it was one of the best trips yet! We only had a three day weekend to go, so we took a night bus to Madrid on Thursday night and flew out bright and early Friday morning. When we got there, we went directly to meet up with the man we were going to be couch surfing with. He had already met up with another couch surfer from Brazil and we headed straight out for a tour of the city. Let me tell you, nothing is better than a personal tour guide! We spent the first morning going to several different museums of Portugal's history. The Portuguese are known for their tiles, and the way that they decorate their houses with them. The buildings are all covered in them!

 

From here begins some of my favorite tiles from the tile exposition. There were old street signs and knockers  too, but I was so distracted by the tiles that I didn´t take any pictures!




The side of a church

Livraria Lello...this bookshop inspired J.K. Rowling´s books. No photos are allowed inside the bookshop so the following two photos are from the internet (source):






L to R: Emma, Drea, Laura, Jeseka, and me!

Overlooking Porto from in front of the grand cathedral

Traditional Portuguese lunch! Our options were "fish" or "meat". In the end we all ended up sharing six plates of both fish and meat...delicious! L to R: Drea, Laura, Lucas, me, Emma, Jeseka, and Fernando, our wonderful host and tour guide

Overlooking the river from "Morocco" In Porto, they say that anything south of the river is in Morocco....



 

Porto: The city of 6 bridges



Enjoying a glass of vinho verde next to the river

One of the boats that they used to transport port wine down the river in the olden days


Francesinha...one of the most delicious sandwiches ever!

At a pencil exhibit in the public library

my favorite pencil drawing in the exhibit- excuse the glare!

overlooking the river

from "Morocco" looking at the grand cathedral


The first port wine cellar we went to-it´s been around since 1692!!

the tasting room 

the second wine cellar we visited

Don´t worry Portugal...I will be back!!
I went back! To read about my trip to Lisbon, click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment